Saturday, December 5, 2009

If You Only Knew... Gambizi


Tahmal Fleming from the Boys and Girls Clubs of San Francisco at 163 London St. said that he takes pride in working with kids because he gets the chance to combine his skills. What some people may not know is that he has musical talents as well, performing under the name Gambizi.

Fleming, who wrote his first rap in fifth grade, said that along with being good at writing, he also gets relief from making music and uses his own personal issues to get his message across.

“I make music so I can touch everybody,” he said. “Taking my pain and articulating it is a way that … somebody could sit back and be like, ‘Damn. I remember going through that.”

He said that he acknowledges hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan, particularly group member Method Man, as one of his musical influences. He said that Method Man helped him not only articulate his words, but also believe that he could be a “verbal assaulter” on the microphone. Other influences include Jay-Z, Jadakiss, Run-D.M.C., LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, and Webbie. “I listen to people who, just like, have an interest or have words that I like,” he said. “I just go into that zone.”

Before rapping under the name Gambizi, he said that he was originally named Gambit, a card player, because he felt that “I’m playing the hand I’m dealt (with) in life.” But being from San Francisco, he was encouraged to change his name to Gambizi because of phrases like “fo’ sheezy and easy.”

He also said that he wanted his name to be universal. “I do want to be (recognized) on a worldwide level,” he said. “You got to speak to people so that everybody can understand … ‘cause the masters is where you got to be able to touch.”

When asked about what the future holds for him, he said that next year he will film two music videos and release three albums, while just "(staying) grind and putting out good music.”

Photo: Courtesy of myspace.com/gambizi

No comments:

Post a Comment